Login
Lexicon
Transformers Fanfics, Essays, Author Interviews and More...! Established 1996!

Rise of the Decepticons - Episode 1: The Nemesis Army Part 1 by Crystine

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Chapter 10

By the time Hot Rod and the other cadets arrived at the temporary outpost, the scene that greeted them was nothing short of utter devastation and chaos. Fallen Autobot soldiers lay on the ground, helpless yet still functional, scattered about a wide area and still in danger of being trampled underfoot by the drones as the majority of Straxus’ army moved slowly away from the outpost and further into Autobot territory.

“Optronix!” Hot Rod stopped short behind his class mate, who was bent low with one knee on the ground. “Optronix?”

Optronix slowly shook his head and straightened, but did not turn to face the headstrong Autobot. “I couldn’t help him.” It was all he managed to say.

“Couldn’t help who, Optronix?” Hot Rod insisted. “What the frag happened here?”

Prowl, who stood by Optronix’s side, answered for him. “The drones have taken Sentinel Prime. We tried to stop them, but…” Then he trailed off; he did not need to finish the rest of his sentence.

Hot Rod looked at them both in surprise, moved around to stand in front of them. “What? Sentinel Prime? Are you serious? They took Sentinel Prime?” he repeated, more in shock than anything else. Then he paused, looking around at the Autobots standing there. “Well, I mean – did you see where they took him?”

Prowl answered him again. “It looks like they've taken him back to Polyhex.”

Hot Rod looked at them again with confusion on his face. “Well, aren’t we going to go after them?” he said, as if he couldn’t fathom why they were not already in pursuit of the drones. “Come on!” he said, attempting to prompt them into action, but then Optronix shook his head.

“It’s too dangerous, Hot Rod. Many of our warriors require repairs,” he began.

Another Autobot officer nearby, tending to a damaged arm and shoulder, spoke up. “Prime will have to wait – right now, we’ve got bigger problems,” he said, indicating towards Iacon Central. “We’ve got to stop those drones from reaching our Command Center. If they manage to get inside, we’re finished.”

“Agreed,” Prowl said. In Sentinel Prime’s absence, he was now in charge of the Autobot army, or what was left of it. “Ironhide, let our medics know the situation out here, make sure they’re prepared for an emergency intake.” He looked around, assessing the current situation, and then added, “A large intake. And be careful.”

“You don’t have to tell me twice,” said the one called Ironhide before he transformed into his van mode and sped off.

Prowl looked around him again until his gaze finally settled upon the group of cadets. “You are all from the Academy, aren’t you?” No one said anything, but their expressions gave the answer away. “You shouldn’t be out here,” Prowl said, as he also noticed their concern.

“Uh, sir,” Hot Rod jumped in, “we just want to help. We were, uh… worried about Optronix, you know?”

Optronix glanced at him at the mention of his name, but said nothing. He had other concerns on his mind. “Sir,” he said, addressing Sentinel’s long time advisor, “is there anything we can do to help Sentinel?”

Prowl considered the matter, and slowly shook his head. He was just as worried about Sentinel’s well-being as Optronix was, and he disliked feeling so powerless to do anything for him – it was one of the reasons why he did not like to take up the reins as Commander of the Autobot army. “We need everybody we can get to stay and defend Iacon.”

As much as he hated to hear it, Optronix agreed with Prowl’s decision. “I understand,” he said in a low voice, as he looked out towards Polyhex.

* * *

Megatron landed just inside the Iacon-Polyhex border from the air, accompanied by several Decepticons. All around them, as far as the optic could see, were the tell-tale signs of a recent battle, though it did not look like any ordinary battle had taken place. For one thing, there were no signs of any kind of energy weapons being used at all. The bodies and dismembered limbs of fallen drones were scattered about a wide area, and a small number of injured Autobot warriors were interspersed among the debris as they slowly picked their way through the rubble that had been left behind by the conflict. There were no functioning drones in sight.

“Looks like some kind of zombie massacre took place here,” Thundercracker said, breaking the eerie silence.

“Where did all the zombie drones go?” Skywarp asked, watching with revulsion as the torso of one of them wriggled ominously on the ground close by, still intent on completing its unfinished goal. He instinctively took a few steps back.

“That is a good question, Skywarp,” Megatron replied. “If I were to hazard a guess I’d say that they’re advancing upon the Autobots’ command post, if it isn’t already overrun with the drones.” Then he began walking along a main speedway, avoiding the broken drones and debris from damaged infrastructure that lay strewn across his path.

A few cycles later, the group of Decepticons came across two Autobot officers taking cover in one corner of a shelter, as one of them began to shout something at them. It was difficult to understand what he was saying; his vocal processor must have been damaged during the battle. Regardless, the fact that they both had their blasters pointed at them was not a good sign.

Cautiously, Megatron approached them and as he did so, one of them fired a stray shot, narrowly missing Starscream. The second in command reacted, instinctively raising his own weapon, but Megatron indicated for him to stop.

The Autobot called out to them again, and this time his words were clear. “Don’t come any closer! This is your last warning!”

A moment of silence followed, and then Megatron answered him. “I have come to speak with your Prime. We mean you no harm.”

At first, the two Autobots seemed unsure of what to do and remained as they were, their guns trained at the Decepticons. But then, slowly, they lowered their weapons. “What do you want? Destrons aren’t welcome in Iacon.” The same Autobot had spoken again; he sounded mistrusting, with a tone of voice that was gruff and highly unwelcoming.

Megatron stepped closer towards them, studying them with reserved interest. “Considering your dire circumstances, I am sure that your superiors will overlook that minor detail.”

The vocal Autobot looked squarely back at the Decepticon leader, his blue optics glowing intensely. “Oh, yeah? Well, for all we know, you could have sent that army.” Then he wiped his chin with his hand, looked down at the pink energon that had leaked from a cut on his bottom lip, and spat more of the fluid from his mouth onto the ground.

“I can assure you that I did not,” Megatron replied, remaining calm. Then he changed tactic, showing impatience. “There’s no time for this. If you will not accept our assistance, then we shall find other Autobots who will,” he said, and then started to walk away, the rest of the Decepticons following his lead.

A few astro-seconds later, a voice called out to them again. “Hey, hold on!” The Decepticons stopped and looked back to see who had spoken; this time, it was the second Autobot, who slowly made his way over to them. He walked with some difficulty, most likely due to injuries sustained during battle. “We sure could do with all the help we can get,” he said, putting his weapon away. “If you’re offering, that is.” His voice was markedly different to the first Autobot’s – far more amicable and laid-back. His color scheme was mostly black and white.

Megatron turned to face him, and nodded thankfully. “Do you know where I can find Sentinel Prime?”

“Hm, can’t say that I do,” the Autobot replied, hesitant, but then looked at the larger Decepticon in anticipation. “Though I can probably take you to someone who does?” he offered, and cautiously looked around the landscape, checking for any signs of the drones. For the moment, at least, the coast was clear. “Come on,” he said, and began to walk ahead of the Decepticons while motioning for them to follow.

* * *

The drones that had captured Sentinel had brought him all the way to Darkmount before handing him over to Straxus’ team of guards. He had been strapped securely to a table in the middle of what looked to be some kind of laboratory, then left alone for several breems as he struggled to try to free himself from his restraints.

Sentinel Prime was in a rage, and swore to himself that he would personally see those responsible for bringing him here thrown into the worst maximum security prison he could think of – Garrus-1 immediately came to mind. Any inkling of fear or apprehension for his own safety did not even enter into his processor. “Straxus! You useless pile of bolts!” he called out at the top of his vocal processor, but all he received in return was an echo of his own words as they rang throughout the empty underground caverns and tunnels of the fortress. “You dare keep me here–!”

He was cut short by the sound of approaching footsteps, and then a Destron came into view in front of him. Sentinel did not recognize who he was. “Release me, at once, or I will have your head for a trophy,” he seethed venomously.

The Destron simply chuckled, finding Sentinel’s wrath quite amusing. “My, my, don’t we have a temper?” he said. Sentinel growled, and shook with rage as he attempted to break the restraints holding down his arms and legs. “Please, try to relax.” The Destron walked around the lab, picking up a few tools and preparing equipment, though Sentinel could not quite see what he was doing. “So… what do you think of my drones?”

Sentinel became still, looking up at the Destron scientist. “You are the one responsible for that atrocity? Then you shall surely pay for what you have done, right after I have Lord Straxus executed in his own smelting pools.”

Deluge did not flinch at the Prime’s threatening promises; on the contrary, he seemed to delight in it all. “You are mistaken. I have wonderful plans for you, Sentinel, wonderful indeed.” Then he leaned across the Autobot Commander, examining his chest compartment with a hand-held scanner. “Hm. Yes, you will do nicely. Lord Straxus will be most pleased.”

“What are you doing? I demand that you release me, at once!” Sentinel warned, but Deluge ignored him, simply concentrated on his task. He forced open the Prime’s chest compartment, and it separated into two panels beneath his fingers, revealing the Autobot Matrix of Leadership inside the chest cavity.

“Ah ha… here it is!” he exclaimed, as he caressed the Matrix with his fingertips. Then he spoke to Sentinel again. “You, my friend, shall be given the rare honour of becoming a great leader.”

“Leader? I already am a great leader, you numskull!” Sentinel said bitterly, his temper unabated.

But Deluge was unperturbed, and corrected the Prime calmly. “Oh, no, no… not a leader of Autobots, but the great leader of my Nemesis Army.” Then he removed the Matrix from its seat, and proudly held it up before him.

 

* * * End of The Nemesis Army Part 1 * * *